Friday, August 29, 2014

Lego Review: Lego City Arctic Accessory Set


This week I bought Lego's City Arctic Accessory set. I don't collect the Arctic line, or City for that matter, but this set was grabbing my attention for some time, and I needed to bring my total up to $99 to get another Mini Mini Cooper. And man, what a disappointment this was.


In this set, you get two minis, a male and female arctic explorer. For the most part, the figures are identical. The decals on both are well done and pretty similar. The only major difference is the printing on the female mini is tapered to denote a more feminine frame. While each mini only comes with a single sided head, the male has green goggles with stubble, the female has orange goggles with a bit of lipstick. 


As for the accessories, you get a cloth-goods tent, a box, two fish, a pick ax, an ice climbing tool, an ice pop (for some reason), two coffee mugs, a camp stove, a skillet, and an ice block with a metal deposit inside. All these are actually well done. I like the camp stove in particular just due to how simple it is. The tent is neat, but I was disappointed to see that there's no real support structure behind it. It says upright because of the way the material was folded. The cloth itself is firm but I'm not sure how well it will keep it's shape after play.


My disappointment with this set doesn't come from the content. I actually think this is a pretty cool set, it's just in NO WAY worth the $14.99 I paid for it. That is it's biggest problem. At 42 pieces, this set comes across as a blatant cash grab and I cannot recommend this to anyone. I know it's supposed to be an accessory set that compliments the other sets in the Arctic line, but at this price you can do without it. If you can find this set for less than $10, by all means purchase it. If not, skip it and save your money for something better.

No comments:

Post a Comment