Monday, September 1, 2014

Mixel Madness!!: Kickin' It Oldschool

If you follow me on Instagram, you might be able to tell that I love Mixels.

And if you don't follow me on Instagram, guess what? I love Mixels.



I got into Mixels maybe five months ago. I had seen them in my many visits to the Lego Store, and any other store that sold Lego, but for the most part I just largely ignored them. I mean, they weren't vehicles, didn't have minifigures, were based on tv shorts I'd never seen (and still haven't seen); they just didn't appeal to my interests. Then I went over to my buddy Felipe's place and saw one sitting on his coffee table. And BAM, I fell in love. I went out and started hunting for them. It took a few trips to various Target and Toys R Us stores, but I found all of Series 1. Then Series 2 popped up and I snagged them. Now I've made my way to Series 3.

And this is where things start to get awesome.

Every Monday during the month of September will be Mixel Madness!! here at Bricks, Pix, and Panels. Today I'm talking a bit about how I got into Mixels, and will also be spotlighting some of the characters from Series 1 and 2, but here's the schedule on what I'm highlighting throughout the month (and I will be updating this page with links, so bookmark away!):


I hope everyone enjoys what I have planned this month. I'm certainly excited to do it for you.

But enough about what's to come, here's what I have now.



On the left we have Max Mixels for Series 1: The red Infernites, the yellow Electroids, and the black Cragsters. On the right we have the Max Mixels for Series 2: The brown Fang Gang, the blue Frosticons, and the Orange Flexers.

The idea behind the Max Mixels are to take the individual Mixels from each series (which are pictured at the top of this blog post) and put them together to make a larger form, hence the Max designation.

Now going from memory, and not breaking these apart so I could rebuild the Mixels, Series 1 was much stronger overall than Series 2, with my favorite Max coming from the Electroids. I just loved that build. The tail, the hair, this was actually the build that led me to start collecting Mixels. 

Although I must say that my favorite individual Mixels come from the Flexers of Series 2. I just absolutely adored Balk, Kraw, and Tentro. The Flexers Max does leave a lot to be desired, though. And my least favorite Max is the Frosticon. The look on it's face is just depressing, and it's tail was shoddily put together. I had to modifiy it to keep it from falling apart.

Along with the Mixels, each series comes with three Nixels scattered throughout the individual packages.



I wish there was some variety with the Nixels. As you can see, out of six figures, there are only two unique faces and three unique builds. I doubt this will change with Series 3, but would be pleasantly surprised if they did. 

This isn't to say I don't like the Nixels. I think they're great and love their look. I think Lego was able to inject a lot of personality with these small builds. These might be my favorite part of this entire line, especially since I wasn't expecting them when I started collecting the Mixels.

One of the great things with Mixels are their customization. Some might consider me rather boring since I tend to stick to the instructions, but those who are more adventurous can combine the Mixels from any set to make a Murp. I've seen some pretty great combinations throughout the internet, and I've thought of mixing them up myself, but I just cant bring myself to do it. Some might chastise me for not being creative, but what can I say, I just like to build them.

But if you're not really interested in the Mixels themselves, you can always buy them just for their parts. There are a good amount of cool parts, such as the flames, and the ice and lightning bolts, and the smaller ball joints are great, especially if you're into building small-scale mechs or mech suits for your minifigures.

So there you have it, just some of my thoughts on Mixels Series 1 and 2. Be sure to come back in the following weeks to see my thoughts on the newly released Series 3.



No comments:

Post a Comment