Friday, August 1, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy

After what seems like forever, Guardians of the Galaxy has finally been released, and oh man is it amazing. 


Seriously, I've only seen it once and it's already my favorite Marvel movie (and I watched The Avengers three times in theaters). 

This movie was definitely Marvel's biggest gamble. If Iron Man was a relatively unknown comic character in 2008, the Guardians of the Galaxy surely were not on anyone's radar, save for a few geeks like me. But they pulled it off. Guardians' greatest success is that it makes you cares about these characters in the short time they are on screen. 

Chris Pratt turns in a dynamite performance as Star-Lord, Zoe Saldana does a great job at portraying the badass Gamora is, and Dave Bautista's Drax the Destroyer was just phenomenal. Seriously, he's one of the best parts of the movie due to the his comedic timing alone. Bradley Cooper's Rocket is also well done, letting you forget that the heavy weapons expert of the group is an anthropomorphic raccoon (but  I wouldn't call him that). And rounding out the main cast, Vin Diesel did a great job voicing Groot, although the animators should get a lot of credit for making an endearing character out of someone who can only say "I am Groot."

As far as content, GotG has all the action and humor you could ask for in a summer blockbuster. It's definitely worth the price of admission and an absolute must watch in theaters. Hell, I'm probably gonna watch it again, and not just because I was sitting in the third row from the front.

If I had one complaint about the movie, it's that I'm not sure how it ties into the overall Marvel Cinematic Universe, apart from a connection to Thanos. But I suppose that isn't that big of a concern since we're still not sure exactly how Thanos fits in to the MCU as a whole. We just know he's the baddie, we don't really know why yet.

So if you take anything away from this, it's that you need to watch Guardians of the Galaxy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment