Monday, July 28, 2014

My SDCC 2014 wrap up, and I didn't even go

Another San Diego Comic Con has come to a close, another year where I didn't attend. I mean, it's expensive, and probably loud, and almost certainly smelly. It looks like fun, but seriously, it's hard to get convention stink off you.

So today I just want to focus on some of the announcements and news that broke over the weekend. I'm not touching every subject, just tossing in my two cents on a few bits of info that struck me as awesome.

First off, Marvel revealed a teaser image of what Vision will look like in Avengers: Age of Ultron.



Apart from the mass of Ultron robots and a pretty cool shot of Quicksilver that reminds of his stint in The Ultimates 2, you can see Vision floating above the battle field in what looks like his classic yellow, green, and red attire. Super cool stuff. I'm excited that Paul Bettany will be voicing our favorite android, but I'm a bit disappointed Clark Gregg won't be able to take a crack at him.

Next up we have our first look at Wonder Woman from Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice.


I gotta say, Gal Gadot looks pretty good as Wonder Woman. Definitely looks like she put on a little muscle for the role. Not that she didn't always look fit, she just doesn't look as long and slender as I was expecting her to be. Although I doubt she'll be standing taller than Batman or Superman in the final cut of the movie.

I also heard some interesting things about the teaser trailer for BvS: DoJ (HA!). Seems as if Batman will be rocking the power armor he wore in his battle against Supes in The Dark Knight Returns. I'm sure it'll be neat to watch, but I can't honestly say I'm looking forward to Superman fighting Batman, even if it's an older, grizzled Batman. Seriously, can't we all just get along?

On the comic book front, I'm actually interested in the new Avengers title set to release in November, titled Captain America and the Might Avengers. It's supposed to reunite Luke Cage, Jennifer Jones, and Spider-Man under [new] team leader Captain America (the Sam Wilson version). It'll be written by Al Ewing, who writes a mean Loki in Agent of Asgard, with art by Luke Ross. 

It looks like Deathlok will be getting a new solo series with Nathan Edmondson at the helm. If it's anything like his Black Widow it'll be a great series.

Charles Soule seems to be willing to continue crushing Swamp Thing and Superman/Wonder Woman, which I'm super stoked about. What I'm still not excited about is Meredith and David Finch taking over Wonder Woman after Brian Azzarello finishes his run. I have nothing against Meredith, as I'm not familiar with her work, but I'm just not the fan of David's artwork that I used to be.

Speaking of artists I'm not a fan of, Greg Land is slated to be the artist on a new ongoing Spider-Woman title. I just don't know how the man continues to get work. I don't get how someone can have all his art look the same across multiple titles, yet different in the same book. It's perplexing.

Back to movie news, Marvel already announced Guardians of the Galaxy 2 for a July 2017 release, which isn't that surprising considering buzz around the interwebs is that Guardians of the Galaxy is the best Marvel movie to date. Which means Marvel has a tremendous track record for release "best movies."

I'm also excited about Mad Max: Fury Road. Here's the trailer if you're interested.


And last but not least, on the SDCC exclusive front, here's an image of the Lego Rocket Raccoon Warbird exclusive.


This set, which is 160 something pieces and supposed to "retail" for $39.99, is already going for over $200 on ebay, so I'm probably not gonna be getting this one, no matter how badly I want it.  

And that's it for what stuck out to me at this year's Comic Con.

Until next time!





No comments:

Post a Comment